A little about me, and why I'm doing this.

I do enjoy sharing the circumstances and events that occur to me on my Road Trips, but mostly...

I want to share what's inside me... my emotions, my intuitions, and my dreams...

With the hope of distracting and encouraging you to think outside the box.

We all need to be distracted and encouraged once in a while, don’t we?

If this distraction also brings enjoyment or entertainment to you… It will make me happy.

I hope you decide you want to get to know me.

I hope you decide you want to get to know me.
I would love to get to know you!
My photo
San Francisco, California, United States
I'm an open minded, honest, fun loving guy, who loves sharing … my insights, my experiences, and my opinions about life... other people … and anything else that jumps into my mind when I’m in (or out of) the saddle. Spirituality-YES. Religion-NO. Sexuality-YES. Politics-NO. Humor-ALWAYS.

THIS IS SHARON

THIS IS SHARON
My Student, My Mentor, My Soulmate.

December 12, 2015

The last seven months of my life...

Today is Saturday, December 12, 2015

Seven months and four days ago, I had a minor stroke.  The doctors say that the stroke didn’t do much damage to my brain, but the arachnoid hemorrhage (bleeding in the brain) that occurred when I lost consciousness and fell, did.  I don’t remember anything about the first two days after the injury, and very little about the next week.  That’s when they sent me home.  My recovery was slow at first, but after about a month, I could notice a little improvement almost every day.

It was less than two months after the injury that I interviewed for a job as a project manager for a high-end residential contractor, and… got the job!  Over the next month or so, I continued to notice improvements, but the ‘curve’ was beginning to flatten out.  I was already reaching my plateau.

It was at this time that I first became aware of a ‘false smell.’  The doctors say this is due to the damage to the olfactory part of my brain.  Why it took several months for my brain to decide to give me the sensation of smelling soapy turpentine, no one can say.  Mostly, it’s tolerable.  I’ve now become so accustomed to it, that I barely notice it at all.  But once in a while, either when I’m around soap, or sometimes for no apparent reason… the smell becomes horridly strong, to the point of causing me to feel nauseous.  Presently, I am told it is likely that there is nothing that can be done to decrease this sensation.  But that’s not the real concern for me at this time.

About a month after the false small started (about one month ago from now) I noticed that I was making mistakes based on incorrect memories.  I have one recollection that is still as clear as day to me, but… it never happened.  I remember making a written note during a meeting; transferring that note to a digital ‘document on my laptop,’ and then emailing that document to the appropriate parties.  I could find no evidence of any of this.

Another mistake was based on something that I did do, but to this day, have no recollection of.  The architect sent out an updated detail, and I had no recollection of ever seeing it.  But when I checked through my back up file (looking for the written note I didn’t make), I found the detail.  Somehow, I had opened the architect’s email, printed the detail without ever downloading it for my digital file, and instead of putting it in my binder to take to the job, I filed it directly into the back up file.  I don’t remember doing any of this, but no one else had access to my laptop or the back up file, so it’s obvious that I did.

These are two examples of a series of mistakes that happened over the next month, each one making me feel more uncertain about my sanity.  They weren’t ‘normal’ mistakes… the kind that ‘everyone makes.’  These recent mistakes have been unique to my life experience.  Sure, I’m human, and I have always made a mistake here or there, but these mistakes are profound in nature… big mistakes… and mistakes that I would normally never make.

I’m now in the process of working with the neurological experts, in an attempt to define and quantify the damage to the cognitive center of my brain.  Yes, it wasn’t only the olfactory center that was damaged… part of my cognitive center is dead too.

I’m afraid like I’ve never been afraid before.  I can walk and talk and outwardly appear to be 100% normal.  But I’m not.  These bizarre and dramatic mistakes, when added to the multitude of additional ‘little’ mistakes I’ve been making… make it difficult for me to believe I’m not going to make one… big… final… monumental mistake.  Gosh darn it, my life has changed and I don’t like it.

4 comments:

  1. I feel ya Cuz. always second guessing ones own thoughts can feel verry scary. Please know that you are not alone. As long as you do the best to do no harm to both yourself and others and keep looking for nthe good you will find moments of mental freedom. Frustration comes to easy for those of us with brain injuries . Just know that you have an amazing woman who loves you and quite a few people who are here for you as long as you keep letting them in. And as far as that nasty smell. if you ever need help with that feel free to pull my finger. you know that joke. We do have to get together again sometime. please know that you and Sharron are always in my thoughts. Team Ned is a strong one and so are You.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Neddy, I had NO idea this had happened to you. I knew something had, but was left guessing. I saw your post on Facebook, and decided to check out your absolutely AWESOME blog, and I'm so glad I did. Sure, a change like this is life-altering, and the fear that accompanies a change like this can be overwhelming, BUT, you will find ways that you can't imagine yet, to be able to compensate for a cognitive issue... And then there's Sharon, who makes you happier than I've ever seen you. Let her love and devotion to you, carry you through this.

    Also, just throwing this out there... I went back to school and became a Certified Professional coach. I work with individuals who have cognitive challenges, Alzheimer's patients and their families, as well as people with developmental/cognitive brain disabilities. I also work with people going through difficult transitions in their lives. I ally with them (ok, pun intended hee-hee) to help them move past their cognitive barriers, and move forward with their lives. Ned, I know what you're going through to SOME small extent, but have had a lifetime to figure out compensatory measures. Part of what makes me so good at my job, (and I AM good at my job)is that, tho you'd never know it, I have a cognitive disability too, that I'd be happy to share with you in a more private place. If you're interested, I'd love to work with you. I'd be happy to do a few free sessions with you and Sharon, (as she, of course needs to be a part of this)to see if this is something that might help for you. Please feel free to contact me at allysugar.coach@gmail.com Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ally, thank you so so much for taking the time to make a comment, and... for making that comment so sweet and potentially helpful. Yes, I WILL contact you about scheduling a session. Feel my love, Ned

    ReplyDelete